History of Zion
Click on the timeline above and drag it right and left -->
- 1800 - The population of Ohio was over
- 1803 - Ohio was admitted to the Union.
- 1806 - Pastor Johannes Stauch made his
first visits to Stark Conty.
- 1810 - The population of Ohio was
- 1814 - The cornerstone of Zion was laid
and a constitution adopted on June 14.
The War of 1812 with Great Britain
ended. Rev. Anthony Wayer, our first
pastor, served for the next twelve
- 1820 - The population of Ohio was 581,434.
- 1821 - The first known records of Zion were
made and are still in our files.
- 1825 - The Erie Canal opened.
- 1829 - The first railway was constructed.
- 1838 - The first log church was destroyed by fire.
- 1840 - A new church was built at the same location
and dedicated. The 6th census recorded a
U. S. population of 7,069,453. The
population of Ohio was 1,500,000.
- 1857 - Zion, Hartville, Mudbrook and Canal Fulton
joined to be served by the same pastor. The
first Sunday School was organized by the
Lutherans and the Reformed.
- 1860 - Abraham Lincoln was elected President.
- 1865 - President Lincoln died.
- 1870 - Goodrich began the manufacture of rubber
- 1873 - George Harter graduated from Capital
- 1881 - The Reformed congregation built a new
church in the village.
- 1887 - During the pastorate of B. F. Schillinger, the
use of the German language was curtailed,
especially during hymn singing. This
situation became a serious problem which
was settled after ten years of dispute with
the English usage finally prevailing.
- 1888 - Pastor's salary was raised to $225.00 for
each of the four charges, totaling $900.00.
yearly. Coal, wood, hay, grain and other
necessities were to be furnished as needed.
- 1891 - The first Missionary Society organized.
- 1895 - The parish of four churches divided.
Mudbrook and Canal Fulton joined, leaving
Hartville and Zion to function together.
Communion services changed from semi-
annually to quarterly. During this period a
parsonage was purchased in Hartville,
where the pastors made their home until
- 1896 - William McKinley was elected President.
- 1900 - For the consideration of $1.00, a lot on
West Maple Street in the village of New
Berlin, now the city of North Canton, was
deeded to the congregation by Mrs. Barbara
- 1904 - The cornerstone was laid and the new Zion
Lutheran Church was dedicated.
- 1905 - Neighboring pastors and visitors participated
in the dedicatory service on February 12.
1907 - Pastor William F. Wolfe brought new life and
inspiration to the congregation and organized
the Young People's Society.
- 1916 - Hartville affiliated with the United Lutheran
Synod and by this move separated itself from
the existing parish. Now Zion stood alone, with
the debt of a new parsonage to shoulder as
well as obligations incurred by the separation.
This time proved to be one of the most difficult
periods the congregation had ever
experienced. Prohibition gained ground as 24
states vote against alcoholic beverages.
- 1917 - A new constitution was framed and adopted.
Council agreed to permit our pastors to serve
the church in Zoarville as a temporary
- 1920 - A celebration of the 15th Anniversary of the
Dedication of West Maple Street church was
held on February 15. A reunion of all
confirmation classed dating from 1905 was
held. Electric lights replaced the gas lights. An
organ fund was established. The Sunday
School was re-organized and a governing
board named. A Missionary society was
organized according to Joint Synod plans.
- 1922 - The Loyal Daughters class was organized.
- 1929 - A new Schantz pipe organ was purchased.
The choir loft was rebuilt and other
- 1930 - The 25th Anniversary of the Dedication of the
church was observed.
- 1935 - Sister Viola Newbauer entered deaconess
training. President Roosevelt signed the U. S.
Social Security Act.
- 1936 - The organ debt retired. This item is worthy of
mention as the congregation, along with its
individual members, was experiencing the
results of the national depression. A building
program was proposed, but was tabled
because of poor financial conditions prevalent
everywhere. The Luther League placed
directional signs throughout town. Hymnals of
the American Lutheran Church were
- 1937 - The first Mother-Daughter banquet was held.
- 1942 - First steps were taken to launch a building
- 1945 - The first Vacation Bible School was
conducted. V.E. day was observed with a
service of thanksgiving at our church. Building
plans were considered and another fund drive
conducted. Three men of Zion lost their lives in
World War II. The United States dropped an
atomic bomb on Hiroshima, and Japan
surrendered shortly thereafter.
- 1946 - Pastor's salary was raised to $2,100.00.
$12,700.00 flowed through the church treasury.
- 1948 - The budget was increased by $1,069.00 and
the parsonage debt was retired.
- 1949 - The Constitution was revised. A house at 210
North Wise Street was purchased for the
pastor and the former parsonage was adapted
for Sunday School use. The nursery opened in
the annex (former parsonage).
- 1950 - The Lutheran Women's League was formed.
Mrs. Florence Carlson Shuck was
commissioned a parish worker.
- 1952 - Acolyte service was instituted, the Alter Guild
was organized, and Boy and Girl Scout troops
were sponsored. The first Evangelism
Committee was appointed. The Lutheran
Standard was mailed to each home, with the
cost covered by the budget. Two worship
services were begun. The church was valued
at $96,000, and insurance was $369.99 per
year, a far cry from the $1.05 paid a century
- 1954 - The Leisters, our church sponsored refugee
family, arrived. We purchased a new building
site of 9+ acres on Lindy Lane and Portage for
$30,000.00. Rollin, Richard and Robert Reiss
were ordained on June 13.
- 1958 - New service books were in use following
Synodical merger. A new parsonage was
- 1959 - The groundbreaking ceremony for the new
building was June 28th. The Wise Street
parsonage was sold for $11,000.00.
- 1960 - The church and annex were sold to the United
Presbyterians for $35,000.00. A weekly
publications, containing congregational news
and schedules of coming events was sent to
each home in the parish. At the time the
membership was 600 baptized, 395 confirmed,
- 1961 - A new outdoor bulletin board was erected. The
constitution was revised. Junior Lutherans
(formerly Junior Mission Bank) was organized.
- 1964 - Pastor Ruth broadcast on WHBC each
noonday. A three-year plan of confirmation
- 1965 - An open house for the new St. Luke's Home
was held on May 16. Groundbreaking for
Youth Hall was on July 18.
- 1966 - Beginning September 25, Pastor's Sunday
sermons were taped and broadcast over
WTOF-FM. After 44 ½ years the Loyal
Daughters' class disbanded.
- 1967 - A Parish Education committee formed.
Assistant Pastor Hasselbach was installed
August 27 at St. Luke's Home. Over the 10
years of Pastor Ruth's ministry the baptized
membership increased from 486 to 857.
- 1969 - Feb. 23 marked the first reenactment of the
Passover Meal by the Luther League. The first
Easter breakfast was served following a 6:30
a.m. service. The 7th Street parsonage was
sold. High School graduates were honored at
the early church service. A youth choir, grades
1-3, was started. Kenneth Roberts was
ordained June 29.
- 1970 - Feb. 22, Missionary Freyberg and family came
to meet us. We burned the church mortgage.
The population of Ohio was 10,652,017.
- 1971 - We supported a second missionary couple,
Mr. and Mrs. William Brown, who served in
Ethiopia. A couples organization formed. We
loaned Redeemer Lutheran Church of
Brookpart $45,000. Membership was 696
confirmed, 567 voting, and 328 families.
- 1976 - Services for the shut-ins were taped. North
Canton celebrated its Bicentennial Year. A
community religious service was held on July
4th at the stadium. Vicar David Stickly arrived
as our new intern. Dane Meuschke was
ordained on July 11.
- 1977 - On Jan. 30 services were cancelled due to
weather conditions for the first time ever.
- 1979 - May 27 was the groundbreaking for the
addition of Memorial Hall, a new kitchen, and
the following structural improvements: air
conditioning in the sanctuary, office
remodeling, new entrances from the west side
and Portage street and enlarged parking lots.
- 1980 - The congregation decided to call an assistant
Pastor. Zion's Blood Bank was established.
November 23 marked the dedication of the flag
pole in memory of Mark Peterson (Vietnam
MIA). Tom Gopp, son of Christine and Earl,
was ordained on June 29.
- 1981 - Membership was 1603 baptized, 867
confirmed, 668 voting and 387 families.
- 1982 - A new youth group was organized for 5-7th
graders. A Sunday School recognition dinner
was served on March 28. Missionaries Michael
and Joanne Shelley visited Zion. When John
and Faye Jaeger retired their mission post,
Zion assumed the missionary sponsorship of
Donald and Charlotte Brink.
- 1894 - Zion won the first Annual conference bible
- 1986 - Missionaries Mike and Joanne Shelley were
quests at both services. We burned the
mortgage in September.